A few weeks ago I mentioned a project that I was working on…. a day bed.
I think it is neat how things can just come together sometimes, even when you aren’t thinking about it. I have toyed with the idea of having a day bed in my upstairs art room, but since we already have a futon up there, I just couldn’t justify getting one. The futon is mainly used for guests. I rarely sit on it, but when I do it is really uncomfortable.
We originally purchased the futon when we bought our house. My husband had been staying at a friends house when he took the job here and I was still back in Palm Spring packing up our house and getting it ready to go on the market. Even after we bought the house in Texas we still had the house in California and until we moved a few things my husband needed some sort of bed to sleep on. That is were the futon came into the picture. We already had enough beds, they just weren’t in the right spot.
The futon has come in handy as we often have a house full of people. When my mom and niece come to visit, we were going to either move the futon downstairs (it is just too hot upstairs to sleep this time of year) or use a blow up mattress. Then one day several weeks ago, I was at a friends house and we were working in her back yard. She was telling me what was on her list of things to do the following week and one project was cleaning out the shed which consisted of getting rid of a day bed and a few other things… Day Bed? Huh! I’ll take that! Isn’t it wonderful when things just work out that way? I think so!
I started out by painting it. It didn’t come with any hardware, so my neighbor helped me cut some screws down to size and my husband helped me put the whole thing together. I bought a mattress and then I just needed to figure out what to do for finials and feet. The finials I found on clearance and my neighbor had a dowel that fit down in the corner posts. We added some tape around each dowel so it had a snug fit. He also drilled some pilot holes so the finials would screw in more easily without splitting the wood. As we were standing near the bed, putting the tape on the dowels and working on the finials something suddenly “grabbed” my foot. I jumped and let out a couple of yelps. It only took me a fraction of a second to realize it was Kivuli. He was under the day bed sleeping and my foot must have been moving around the bottom of the sheet that was hanging down to the floor. What a fun game. Insert claw in foot. Yup, that was fun.
Kivuli was quite pleased with himself, but let’s get back to the bed… the feet are the last thing I need to take care of. I bought some caps, but they were just a little to small. If I go up the next size they will be too big. Until I work that out, I have simply set the legs on some moving men so they won’t cut into the carpet (you can see them on the photo above.)
I love the day bed and it will be nice to have it upstairs eventually. I will pile all the unmatched and unused pillows on it and it will be a great place to sit and read or take a nap.