I had a wonderful Mediterranean Kale salad earlier this summer. It made me long for more kale in the garden. Our summers are just too hot for the kale to flourish out there, so I am looking forward to planting more soon in the fall and winter gardens.
I do not know the origins of this salad to give the proper credit.
2 small bunches kale (long stemmed curly)
2 T extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
2 T fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 red bell pepper
1/4 C walnuts or pine nuts
1/4 C olives of choice
Stack 2 of kale leaves and roll them up to make a long kale “cigar”.
Slice crosswise into thin strips.
Repeat with the remaining leaves.
Chop the strips crosswise a few times, so they aren’t too long.
Place in a mixing bowl along with the evoo, juice and salt.
Massage well with your hands working the dressing into the kale
(tough part’s getting it off your fingers)
Add remaining ingredients and mix.
Serve at room temp.
- I added more salad dressing (olive oil & lemon juice)
- I would add more chopped peppers and other veg (like cucumbers) next time
- More olive wouldn’t hurt either.
- this salad lasted a long time in the refrigerator
- I will make it again (looking forward to cooler temps and kale growing in the garden)