I was looking for a bit of comfort food this week. Meatloaf quickly came to mind and I knew I had everything that I needed to make it and it would also fit the bill for the Dark Days Challenge too.
Using a combination of pork and venison I knew the meatloaf would be delicious. I also added farm fresh eggs and frozen Anaheim peppers and onions from the spring and summer garden.
I enjoyed them so much that mashed turnips made another entrance for a DDC meal. These turnips came from Boggy Creek Farm. I talked about my recent visit to Boggy Creek Farm in Austin, TX here. Mashed turnips are making another appearance. I used them in another DDC meal and you can read about that here.
We finished off this wonderful comfort food meal with a nice green side salad with greens from the garden.
This meal hit the spot.
- Pork – Bandera Grasslands – 70 miles
- Venison – from a friend of my husband
- Anaheim Peppers – from my Summer garden
- Onions – from my Spring garden
- Turnips – from Boggy Creek Farm – 76 miles
- Bunching Onions – from neighbors garden
- Salad – from my garden
- Ketchup – organic, but not local