Still cooking for the Dark Days Challenge. Technically we go to the end of March, but it will take a few weeks into April to finish with the Breakfast Challenge and final recaps. This week there is no mini-challenge, just a plain SOLE (sustainable, organic, local, ethical). You will see a pattern here, for me, it is simple, but good meal. Last week was the Vegetarian Challenge. You can read about the two vegetarian meals I cooked up here and here and you can read the recaps I did for the West Region. The recap for the South Region will be posted this coming Sunday over at Not Dabbling in Normal. I will come back and link it once the post is up.
This week I made another simple meal. Roasted Chicken with roasted butternut squash and a big fresh side salad.
- Chicken – HausBar Farms (no website) bought @ Boggy Creek Farm (76 miles)
- Butternut Squash – Martinez Farm in Pleasanton, TX – 64 miles (no website)
- Onion – from garden this spring and in freezer
- Basic salt & peppers on the chicken & squash – not local
- Olive Oil on squash – Texas Olive Ranch – 143 miles
You can also click on my “Local Resources” page at the top to see more local food information from my area.