My meals are going to be on the easy side for a while. Wait, my meals are mostly on the easy side…. oh well.
Like the green linguini I mentioned last week, almost everything I make right now has something green in it. Whether it is kale, chard or spinach, it goes in.
This meal was made up of things that needed to get used up in the refrigerator. Left-over wild rice from a previous stir-fry-type meal, and ground venison that went in some omelets and some tacos. I also had some left-over brown rice.
I also worked at pulling a few things out of the freezer. I pulled out another bag of chopped peppers and another of chopped onions.
I chopped spinach fresh from the garden and mixed it all in. I put half of the mixture in the baking dish then added some cheese. Added some more of the mixture and topped with cheese. I had enough mixture leftover to make two single-serving dishes. they were perfect to send to work with my husband for lunch or dinner.
- Wild Rice – from MN, picked it up when I was visiting my parents (I consider it local)
- Peppers and onions – (frozen) were from the garden
- Spinach – fresh picked from the garden
- Brown Rice – Package says “Organic Texas rice” I still need to call the company and get the details on this one. I know rice is grown in SE Texas and into Louisiana, but I have yet to find any to buy. I am hoping this is some of it.
- Venison – from a hunter friend.
If you click on the SSFC badge at the top of the page you can see what the other Southern SOLE Food Challenge participants are making.