We changed the summer screens out for the winter screens the other day.
It is a full screen that fits over the entire window to help keep out the heat, UV rays and glare during the summer months. I have heard them called “solar screens” and “sun screens”. What ever they are called, I think they help a lot.
These windows are on the back of our house. It is our bedroom and that is a south facing wall. It is nice in the winter to get the sun helping to heat that room, but in the summer it is the hottest room in the house. Not only is it exposed on the south side, but it is exposed on the east and west sides too. The room kind of juts out the back of the house. There is a screen porch that was added later that helps protect the east side of the bedroom and my plans are to plant something, like a clumping bamboo on the south and west walls, that will grow up tall enough to provide some more protection from the sun. Right now there is a nice row of Salvia Greggii (Autumn Sage) planted along the south wall. It is very drought tolerant, and it attacks the hummingbird moths, many butterflies and also hummingbirds every day. I will definitely be transplanting it somewhere else in the yard when I plant something else in its place.
It is amazing how nice and bright the room is with the normal screens on. It is nice to have the blinds pulled up to let the light into that room. The bedroom is such a dark and dungeon-like place in the winter. The solar screen block out so much light and then we also keep the blinds down too to help reduce the heat as much as we can.
I don’t know how old these solar screens are, but they are starting to show their wear and the little plastic corners are starting to break off. We will use them again this summer and see how they are holding up when we remove them in the fall. There are a few on the east windows in our bedroom, that are now inside the screen porch that I can switch out to use on the south windows.
While changing the screens it is a good time to check the wood trim around the windows. I noticed there were some areas that were rotting. I know there was no visible sign of that last fall when we switched the screens, so that is another project to add to “the list.” I need to walk around and check the other windows and see how many we will need to re-trim.